Contract Management and Education Sector Service Delivery in Local Governments of Uganda: A Case Study of Masaka District Local Government.
MetadataShow full item record
TWESIGYE NDUHURA (2014-M102-30010) Contract Management and Education Sector Service Delivery in Local Governments of Uganda: A Case Study of Masaka District Local Government. The study focused on examining the effect of Contract Management on Education Sector Service Delivery in Local Governments of Uganda with particular interest in Masaka District Local 49 Government. The study objectives were; to establish the effect of contract documentation on education sector service delivery, to find out the effect of Contract relationship Management on education sector service delivery and to determine the effect of contract monitoring on Education sector service delivery in Local Governments of Uganda. A sample size of 103 respondents out of the population of 140 was selected from the district headquarters for the study. This consisted of 5 heads of departments, 2 district political heads, 36 lower political leaders(Councilors) and 60 lower staff members (Senior managers, managers and clerks). This study was conducted using case study research design with mixed-methods of qualitative and quantitative techniques. Purposive and simple random sampling methods were used for the study. Questionnaires and interview guides were also used for data collection. The findings revealed that correction coefficient (R) using predictor Contract documentation; show that 41.0% (0.410 *100) variations in education sector service delivery are explained by contract documentation while the remaining 59.0% is explained by other factors. Also correction coefficient (R), using predictor contract relationship management, is that 40.2% (0.402 *100) variations in education sector service delivery are explained by contract relationship management while the remaining 59.8% is explained by other factors. Furthermore, correction coefficient (R), using predictor contract monitoring, is that 9.6% (0.096 *100) variations in education sector service delivery are explained by contract monitoring while the remaining 90.4% is explained by other factors. The study recommended that the central government should provide Masaka district local government with computers and modern software that can help in documentation of contract activities. This can help in improving the quality of the records kept; the district staff should be regularly trained on the use of modern fashioned book keeping methods. Also the district management should ensure that regular meetings are organised with contractors to discuss issues pertaining to the contracts and also improve the working relationship between the two; ensure that service providers are paid on time so as to improve their morale in providing high quality services and on time and be sensitised on the relevance of having good working relationships with the contractors as this can help in reducing the gap between the two parties. Furthermore the management of Masaka district should work hard to identify other factors other than increased monitoring if education sector service delivery is to be improved, such areas include: proper contract scheduling, contract records, evaluation and use of qualified personnel in contract management. The district management should also plan training of the staff. This may equip them with necessary qualifications and competences necessary for improved education sector service delivery. Key Words: Contract Management, Education Sector, Service Delivery, Local Governments, Masaka District